Grants & Awards
One of the principal purposes of the Benson Area Community Foundation is to provide grant monies to eligible community organizations for purposes of project and program implementation and sustainability. Grant making commenced in 2005 and has continued to the present day. The first several years of existence, the Foundation made grants on a one-time-per-year basis. With the increased size of our Endowment Fund and the excellent return on investments, the Foundation Board opted to increase the frequency of grant-making to two-times-per-year. Typically, awards are made in the months of June and October.
Since the inception of grant making in 2005 and up until July of 2015, the Benson Area Community Foundation in concert with its donor-advised fund, the Galen Hanson Endowment Fund, has awarded over $135,243.00. This has involved 77 separate grant awards with an average of $1753.00 per grant award.
Among these 77 awards, a representative sample includes:
- Swift County Humane Society – $1,000.00 for a Spay and Neuter Program
- Benson Senior High School – $2,630.00 for the Video Production Class
- City of Benson – $3,328 for replacement of the Community Center furnace
- DeGraff Parks Department – $1,893.00 for the Dineen Park Shelter Addition
- Danvers Parks Department – $3,000.00 for the Park Development Program
- Northside Elementary School – $2,000.00 for the Community Garden Project
- Swift Fall Winners 4-H – $2,000.00 for the Playground Renovation Project
For a full list of Grants & Awards, click here.